Entrepreneur looking for a Programmer for long-term partnership
PHP, video compression, steaming media, file conversion
We have a potentional job that is out of our league and we need to quote our customer prior to development - that is where we need your help. Below are the project details and any information we know about the project.
1) Live/Launch date must be no later than Feb 1st, 2008
2) Project will be very similar to a youtube.com-type website
3) Users will be able to register and upload videos
4) Like youtube.com, the videos uploaded will be able to be viewed on the website by the general public
That is pretty much the scope of the project. We will handle design and basic HTML templates. Here is what we don't know and need help figuring out and developing:
1) Is there a server-side module that will take any video format and compress it for web viewing? Using a Flash FLV file like youtube seems to be the best answer (that way users don't need players like windows media, quicktime, etc). However if a user uploads a 100MB video file, can the website automatically compress the file? We believe this feature is neccessary and we do not have the skill set to get something like this runnning.
2) Is Flash 7, 8, 9 the best way to go for something like this?
3) We would like a search function so users can search for videos similar to youtube. We're thinking the initial user that is uploading the video can enter their own keywords.
4) Similar to youtube, we would like thumnails of the videos to randomly show up.
5) Hosting/Traffic - we're unsure at this time how many visitors will come to the website. We will need help sourcing a host that can handle this type of streaming media, as well as offer sufficient storage space and the right server requirements to make this website possible.
6) I know there are other issues pertaining to streaming media - and that is where we need your expertise.
Also, we are looking for a developer who has done this before - we prefer not to pay someone who is learning this on the fly. We prefer someone who has the answers now - obviously you must be a pretty advanced programmer. If you have done a similar project we would like to see that. If you feel this is a great project for you and are comfortable with the launch date, please email me at email@example.com. Pleae provide your contact information as we will most likely have to discuss this over the phone. I have promised the customer a formal quote by the end of the week. We are moving quickly on this so as soon as I get your email and feel you are qualified, I will most likely call you right away to disccuss options. Please, USA developers only.